January 18, 2013

USDOT Truck Number Compliance | Frequently Asked Questions

USDOT Compliance

In order to give a head start on making sense of the regulations, and to help make sure all of our customers are USDOT compliant we decided to list these here today.

Below is a list of common US DOT questions we receive, as well as the answers and links to where we dug them up. (see below for helpful links)

What size should my USDOT truck lettering be?
Through my research and in speaking with the USDOT, they require that lettering be able to be seen from a distance of 50 feet away while the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) is stationary. This can be somewhat subjective, so to clear things up, in order to be seen from 50’ away, the lettering must be at least 2” tall. Often our customers opt for the 3.5” tall USDOT numbers in order to go beyond the requirement and insure compliance without a doubt. 

Are magnets legal to use for my USDOT numbers?
Yes, per USDOT regulation, markings can be painted on, or may consist of a removable device.

Where do I place my numbers?
The placement of the USDOT number must appear on both sides of the vehicle. There is no clear direction as to where on the vehicle they must be. The exact wording from the USDOT is “Appear on both sides of the self-propelled CMV.

What color should my USDOT numbers be?
The US Department of Transportation requires the lettering to contrast sharply with the background of the vehicle. They do not have a specific color combination that they require, as long as the colors contrast sharply.
Do I need my business name on my vehicle?
The USDOT states that the legal name or single trade name of the motor carrier operating the vehicle must be listed on the motor carrier identification report.

I rent a Commercial Motor Vehicle, do any special rules apply to me?
Yes, there are some additional details that you will need to review.  If the vehicle is rented for less than 30 days, you will need to comply with the following:
The lessor Id number preceded by USDOT must be displayed. The name and address of the principle place of business renting the vehicle must be displayed, as well as the ID number of the renting motor carrier, if they have been issued a number.

If you are ready to look into purchasing your sticker or magnets, please visit WholesaleMagneticSigns.com https://wholesalemagneticsigns.com/collections/us-dot-magnets for many options, including reflective lettering for nighttime visibility

To get further into detail on compliance regulations, please contact your local USDOT field office. You can find the phone list for the Department of Transportation field offices at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/contact/offices/displayfieldroster.aspx#IN

The answers to the above questions were taken from the USDOT website and can also be found at the following link:

If you are looking for information on how to apply for a USDOT number, please visit: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment